My Father in all his usual wisdom decided to pick up the phone and call me, to inform me that after so many years he has decided that it is time to marry again.
After all D.......... A man cant spend all his life alone.
Kind of calling the pot black statement there !.
For as long as I have known he is not one to ever have liked his own company, it haunts him and a mirror tell ways too many stories.
Anyway, it's been decided and apparently he would like me there to play perfect happy families.
So I thought about it,
And thought about it,
And finally got mad.
Not just mad for a while, but mad ...well mad as a hatter really on a bad night out on the drink.
And I picked up the phone, NOT a good idea at 11pm at night and after having wayyyyyyyy toooooooo much time on my hands.
And said,
I have decided that I will not be packing up my family and traveling half way around Australia.
He seemed shocked......as most Fathers would that don't have a bloody clue.
Because, I refuse to stand there and be your trophy daughter when you have...
Rememberedmy Birthday only twice in 25 years.
Asked me the name of my husband who you and I have known for 17 years every single phone call.
Send me 3 Christmas cards over 10 years but cant remember my address, and have to ask for it.
Finally come to my house 5 year's ago, but you spent 7 ( yes I was counting) minutes standing there bitching about the weather and then leave...Why??...well it couldn't be because it was the first time you saw me in 15 years now could it ?.
You don't even know the name's of my children or their ages or even the first thing about them.
You don't even try.........
And whats worse, I gave you the chance. I gave you a chance you so didn't deserve, a real chance to get to know your grandchildren like you have never known me...
And you just let it run by, when it hit you square in the face.
Then somewhere somehow.... you ask me to pay a fortune to attend your wedding, just pack up for a week, Take time off work, the kid's out of school, find a dog sitter, fly half way around Au with a sick husband and wham Bham Thank you Mamm...
Here we are and every thing is perfect ?.
I've missed something right ?
Right Now- June Recap
4 weeks ago

4 comments:
No offense, your dad sounds like an asshole. Good post though.
I hope you have been able to sleep after all that. He doesn't get it and never will. you did the right thing. the right thing for you, and for your family. Even if you go - he isn't going to appreciate what it took both physically, monetarily or emotionally for you to be there. Him making pathetic attempts to be the good dad and include you are a joke. I am glad you are a smart cookie. Love ya!
I had the pleasure of meeting with your dad remember Melbourne!!! Handsome, softly spoken, debonaire....ALL THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD!!! The term Dad/Father is a position that is earnt, merely a sperm doner that contributed to your being your life.....OH and it is your life...you have done an awesome job so far without him!! You are loved and admired by all those around you....a true survior!! love to you always xoxoxo
Wow did this post strike a cord with me. I had a very similar scenario and I made the decision to not feel guilty for my fathers choices. The only emotion I ever really felt was pissed that he never really knew how fabulous I turned out in spite of him. Sometimes we kids need to cut the cord--for very good reasons.
Post a Comment