Sunday, September 28, 2008



My new job is working out really well and it was not as bad as I thought, moving from a job I have been with for 16 years onto new ground.

I still miss the old team, but slowly very slowly I am beginning to feel like another.

I will admit that I was not prepared for the feelings I would have....

Oncology is so different to palliative care......so very different....so many emotions and tears and anger...


People will do anything to gain more time...and why shouldn't they ?

You cant put a price of life...

Time and time again people amaze me with their strength...and as I place my hand on their shoulder in their time of grief... I only hope that they can pass some onto me...

I sure need it....

22 comments:

Rock Chef said...

Glad it is working out well for you. It must be a tough job, but from experience I know that good, caring nurses do make all the difference. Even if the end result is inevitable and you feel powerless at times, you are still making a huge difference to these people.

OHN said...

I am wondering at what point the families move (emotionally) from oncology to palliative. Right now it is an unimaginable line to me.

Change is always difficult. I am sure you know that it takes a special person to work in your field and the patients and families do draw strength from your knowledge and kindness.

Sid said...

Sounds tough. But I'm sure they appreciate everything you do for them.

tz said...

It's amazing how much just that touch on their shoulder can mean to them, how much just your ear to hear their troubles, their hopes, their reasons for living can mean so much too...

sometimes just the presence of a caring nurse does as much as the medicine...

kudos to you!

Sitting In Silence said...

CRC...Thanks for saying that we make a difference. I sure try too although some days I wonder to just how much.
x

Ken said...

Glad you like your new job. On another note, that's your hairy arm in the photo, is it?

Sitting In Silence said...

OHN...Great question.Most people just know and move on when they are ready, some are never ready and that is really hard to watch..xox

Sitting In Silence said...

Sid...Thank you...I think I have worked through it today x

Sitting In Silence said...

TZ...from one nurse to another you are so right....

Tell M I need her Nursey imput as well...LOL..

I spoke to another nurse today and she gave me the best advice...Care without caring...sounds harsh but is so true....dont you think ?..

Sitting In Silence said...

DF>>>only you would think if that LMAO....

Your a Classic...I have no hair on my arm...I'm Scottish...we dont do hair...
Um was that too much information ?
x

Slyde said...

that is good to hear.. im considering leaving my current job of 14 years and i am of mixed thoughts on it..

kenady said...

I'm so proud of you for switching jobs... and a bit envious:) It's so easy to stay put, even when you know it's not going anywhere, because it's comfortable and what you know. Good for you for taking on the challenge, succeeding at it and now beginning to find your nitch. xxoo

Janine Kain said...

Just wanted to say how profound I found your blog header.

Paul Pincus said...

happy i found your blog. good luck with your new job...sounds like you are already shining brightly and making those around you feel a little better.

cheers.

Sitting In Silence said...

Slyde...Like I always say...Feel the fear ...but do it anyway...

Sitting In Silence said...

Kenady...Thanks so much for your comment...it does get better ever day....
I know one day I will look back and go...I did the best I could at the time...

xoxo

Sitting In Silence said...

Jackal...Hey thanks for dropping by...I love comments from new readers...
Have a great day .

Sitting In Silence said...

Thanks Paul and welcome...

Anonymous said...

A really good nurse is always going to fit in and be valuable whereever they are. I'm sure you are a blessing to the patients you deal with.

Teresa said...

It takes such a special person to give of their skills and their heart as you do. You have all of my respect!!

Anonymous said...

I had something really pithy to say and then I read Daddy Forever's comment and I'm laughing too hard to remember. Bad Daddy!!

Sitting In Silence said...

LMAO @ Jenny...I know..his quite the classic funny man around here....xoxo