Friday, June 12, 2009

Is That Really You ?

When I was in year 11 at school many years ago.

I met an exchange student from Quebec,her name was Chantale.I'll say her name in the hope that she stumbles across my blog one day.
She was on a life changing experience,a 12 month exchange with an Australian family.

We instantly bonded.She was a little older then me,more worldly and so interesting.
She taught me french and we used to swap letter's between classes everyday.
Chantale made me write those letters in french and we would laugh at my mistakes.

She used to sleep over at my place and I would make her watch all my favorite Australian DVD's. She never complained. I loved her bright sunny outlook on life.
I love how grown up and travelled she was. She had a fierce sense of direction and Independence.

She was incredibly opened minded and we spent hours talking about her customs and traditions.

I had never met anyone like Chantale,before I knew it, our 12 months came to an end.On that last day before she went home. I gave her my favourite piece of jewellery,a silver heart locket with my name on it. She had always loved that locket. I remember telling her that a piece of me was going with her.

She gave me her French to English dictionary and wrote a sweet little message inside.

We tried to keep in contact,but letters were hard, and I missed her terribly. I even phoned one day, but no one could understand my Aussie chatter.
I gathered that Chantale had moved and that was where the contact ended.

I have spent many years searching for Chantale,now alot easier thanks to the Internet.

I have never found anything no trace nothing,but today that changed.

That little French- English dictionary, the one she gave me 20 years ago, fell out of my linen cupboard.

It just fell out on the floor from an old bag. For a second,I looked at it and went to toss it back into the cupboard, but something made me open it.
There staring at me was a photo of the both of us and a message....

It read... "Write me...I'll miss ya and remember,no matter where we are in the world. When I see the moon, I know you will see it too. I'll wave and if you look closely you will see my shadow and I will see yours waving back at me...Friends forever....."

So I picked up that dictionary and I logged onto face book,like I have done so many many times.

I willed her to be there and for a second I was disappointed that she wasn't,but then the 3rd photo down,that face, that hair...is that you?....

I clicked on her friend list and they are all from her home town...oh it has to be you!

Please let it be you.....

I sent her a message...and I so hope I hear back and that she uses Face book,now my biggest fear is that the account is old, or she does not use it. She only has 22 friends,so maybe it's not a huge time waster of hers...

So close....so so very close....

Wish me luck, wish us luck.....

24 comments:

OHN said...

The wonders of the Internet! I hope you are able to find your old friend! Please keep us updated :)

Anonymous said...

Danielle -- I DO so hope that you have found your old friend. What a treat that would be!

Rock Chef said...

I hope you do get in contact with her!

I found my old best friend from school on FB,but he hasn't used his account in a long time. I am also waiting for a reply...

Daddy Forever said...

I hope that's your friend. That would be cool to make contact again after so many years.

Dodi said...

Oh, how very cool that would be!!! Fingers are crossed for you!

Mike said...

How cool for you. Facebook has put me in touch with friends I had not seen for many years. It's like renewing our friendship again...

Anonymous said...

Keep us posted! I hope it's her!

Colleen O said...

I hope you find your long lost BFF! I have lost touch with so many - some closer than others. I found a "contact list" I wrote up for a babysitter years ago, and I hardly know any of those people anymore! Time marches on - but hopefully the upside of the crazy busy web2.0 world can help you reconnect!

Unknown said...

I hope you did find her.

Sitting In Silence said...

OHN...Still waiting although I have heard back from her sister...

Sitting In Silence said...

Sandra...Me too...I am starting to give up hope a little...

Sitting In Silence said...

CRC...Really ? How long have you been waiting ?

Sitting In Silence said...

DF..I know...I really hope she checks her facebook soon.

Sitting In Silence said...

Dodi...Thanks Dodi. I did hear back from her sister that I manged to track down on Facebook as well. She said she was going to tell her. Maybe she has forgotten me ?

Sitting In Silence said...

Mike...Yeah it sure is.
Thanks for popping by.

Sitting In Silence said...

Thanks RM. I sure will.

Sitting In Silence said...

Mrs O....Me too although as every day passes I wonder loads of different things, (sigh).

Sitting In Silence said...

Hi Kay. Thanks for popping by. I really appreciate new readers.

kenady said...

I so know how you feel!! my very best friend from my 2 years living in Italy and I recently reconnected after 22 years and it's like a day never passed! I soooooo hope it's her and that she does use FB!! Good luck!! xxoo, e

Sitting In Silence said...

That is wonderful E...I so hope this happens to me as well...

Anonymous said...

I love stories like that. FB is amazing in that way! Don't worry...I don't think there's any way she could forget someone so special as you Dan! There's 2 kinds of people in this world...one's who check their e-mail multiple times a day and ones who don't. The computer might just not be a regular part of her daily routine yet. I bet she'll respond and you'll reconnect like not a day has ever passed!

Anonymous said...

So?

Sitting In Silence said...

Teresa, Thank you. You are totally right. It might not be a high on her list......(sigh).

Sitting In Silence said...

RM...Nothing but the e-mail from her sister.
I am guessing it's just not high on her list to do's.
Her sister said she has a new baby and she was nice enough to add me as a friend.
I'm still here, waiting,waiting...