Sunday, August 17, 2008

For My Beau..



I owned my first horse at 11. He was a beautiful palomino with a fiery soul for open space and clear land.
We spent many many hours together....riding through national forest and training for our next show.
I called him Beau, but his real name was Beaurevere Abarardi, it's been a long time since I wrote that name.

He read me like a book.
I read him like a book.

He trusted me and I trusted him, so much so that he would wait for my school bus every afternoon at 4 and I would jump on his back, no saddle no bridle and he would take me up the long path to his feed tin.

We won loads of ribbons in the show, I still have them and I swear they still smell like him.

I even have his coat and bridle in the shed, I just cant part with them.


I still dream about him,galloping through the long grass to me,because I have whistled him.

I can even still feel his mane and the contour of his neck if I close my eyes and try hard enough......

I promised him that I would never ride another horse if something ever happened to him.

When you left this world. I took one of your silver shoes off and threw it as far as I could down the dense forest adjacent to your paddock where you spent many hours.

I remember taking a final look at the shoe and deep gouge marks on the silver and I tried to remember how we got each of those marks.

What last road did we take?, where was that small stone from.. that was caught in in your shoe..?..


I have spent many years wishing I never threw that shoe back to the earth.

I wish I kept it, I have even thought years down the track of going back to find it.

I remember the first time you met Troy, boy did you hate him. That look in your eyes said it all.

I never let anyone ride you, But I did let Troy sit on your back.....once..You were so naughty my Beau-Beau...trying to buck him of like you never had a rider on your back before...

So you...really...jealous and feisty and never wanting to share anything...

I still keep the last photo ever taken of you by my bed in a silver frame that reads...

So no matter where you are my friend..
You are always on my mind..
And nothing can ever change all that..
especially a thing called time..


I miss you Beau-zo......


.

20 comments:

Mrs4444 said...

This is a beautiful post, and a beautiful photo. What a dear friend. Have you really never ridden another horse? Do you regret that promise?

Dodi said...

That post made me smile, with tears running down my cheeks. An animal/friend like Beau doesn't come by too often - some people never experience anything like that ever in their lives. You are blessed to have such wonderful, loving memories.

You'll meet again, because I have to believe that heaven wouldn't be heaven if the great loves of your life weren't there to share it with you.

HUGS!

kenady said...

I can't type because of the tears! What a loving tribute to your sweet Beau. There is a special Heaven for our special animal loves. I really believe that.

tz said...

that was beautiful!

Ali said...

What beautiful words for an obviously beautiful family member. You'll ride him again one day...

Ken said...

I'm sorry Beau is gone. He sounds like a great horse. When it's my time, I hope my kids will miss me as much as you miss your horse.

Sitting In Silence said...

Mrs 4444

True I have never ridden another horse again. Sometimes I regret it especialy when I see someone out riding, and I get that itch and say to myself...boy that would be great to get on a horse again..

I'v just never done it !

Sitting In Silence said...

Dodi...I hope that is true. I once heard animals dont go to heaven...I hope who ever told me was making it up because I plan to ride many more mountains with Beau, one day I hope !

Sitting In Silence said...

Kenady...Do you think so....I really hope so..

x

Sitting In Silence said...

Thanks TZ...

And thanks again for my beautiful birthday post !

Sitting In Silence said...

Ali..You have mail !

I so hope so !
x

Sitting In Silence said...

DF..Look I'll make you a deal..I promise to write a loving post about you should you curl your toes up anytime soon..

Deal ?

LOL x

Anonymous said...

Oh that is so sad! I can't totally relate because the only horse I ever had was mean. He bit and kicked and generally speaking, hated me.
BUT I know the absolute pain of losing a cherished animal.
They are way more than a pet.

Sitting In Silence said...

Amanda..They sure are. He was a bit special because I lived so far out of town as a child and we spent so much time together..

Anonymous said...

He was beautiful! Animals go to heaven... My Molson awaits me there.

Rock Chef said...

A great post and what a handsome horse! Love the way he refused to carry anyone else - love that sort of spirit in a horse!

Sitting In Silence said...

RM...I sure hope they are both waiting for us...

Sitting In Silence said...

CRC....I thought you may like that...

How is Fat cat these days ?

Have you seen him around ?

Anonymous said...

Oh, Danielle. You made me cry. This is the price we pay for loving our animals isn't it? This made me nostalgic for our dog Akela who died last year.

Just remember, Beau isn't totally gone as long as you have all your great memories and pictures of him.

Sitting In Silence said...

Sandra...yes your right...and dreams are good as well...

What kind of dog did you have ?