Is there such as thing as Blogging etiquette?.
Here's the scenario.
I have posted comments on a blog that we shall call "Blog X" for the better part of 12 months. Not every time but let me say often enough. I read the blog because the owner writes about a topic that I am/was very much interested in.
The thing is...
Not once over the 12 months has she ever commented on my comments.
Not once has she even noticed that I exist.
Now I am not asking her to come here and comment on my blog, I am just wondering if after 12 months this person even cares enough to even know who I am.
I reckon I have left about 25 comments.
I even know from my Stats that she has never ever not once launched her backside over here to even take as much as a sneak peek at me.
And I am not worried she will do it now, hence my post.
I ask you what is with this?
Oh and for the record, the medium comments for this blog are 2, so I am not even lost somewhere amongst 100 readers.
Call it an eye for an eye, but for me, if someone is kind enough to pop on in and say Hi then I am only too happy to wave back (so to speak).
What do you guys reckon?.
I'm off to cull my favourites....
Right Now- June Recap
4 weeks ago

28 comments:
That is rude. I didn't use to reply to comments on my blog, but I do now (most of the time). I also try to visit the blogs of my readers when I can.
DF...You have one of the nicest blogs around, not only do you visit other blogs but you comment on every comment....I take my hat off to you...
There is Blogging etiquette and she is in breach of said etiquette. I wouldn't even read that blog anymore. Part of the whole concept is building a community of bloggers. If you don't reach out then it's pointless and you might as well be keeping a diary under your mattress.
I've been there too.....and end up following those blogs less and less...
Maybe she's just blogging for her friends and family and not interested in other blogs?????
TORI...Thanks for dropping by, speaking of commenting...for some reason I cant leave a comment on your blog...?..
Promise to try again.....
TZ... Snap...That is what I am doing just following it less and less...
For some reason it really bothers me...BUT I am sure I would feel so much better if I left with a few parting words lol....
Hmmm, I don't always reply to comments people leave me, but it's only in recent months that I've noticed how many people actually Do. I just always figure people don't check back once they've left a comment on a certain topic...but I'm trying to get better at answering now.
But I do check in on other people's blogs, always. Sometimes it takes me a few days, but I always do it. I actually check people more than once a day usually...I'm sort of stalkerish that way...which is probably obvious since it's 3:47am where I live and I'm up writing possibly the longest comment EVER on your blog.
Okay - this stalker is out - peace. Lol!
One should always recognize new posters, and old ones also. That's how you build loyalty and relationships.
I agree with Tori. She may as well have a diary under her bed.
When I have a commenter, I squeal with delight then I immediately pop over to their blog to see if they are someone I would want to have lunch with....I think this person is missing out on a fun lunch with you :)
I always try to reply to comments on my blog, even if it is something as dumb as "Hey, good to see you!"
I have noticed that some bloggers always reply to all comments while others never reply to anyone. Those who don't reply are missing out on the best part of blogging.
I say forget about that blog... there are plenty of other fish in the sea and fun stuff to read. Heck I just found your bloggy yesterday and I have already been back twice. (not that I am counting or anything) but I think it's just common courtesy that if someone likes what you write then you might just like what then do... BTW - Thanks for checking our blog out. We are an aquired taste though kind of like vegimite (j/k)
Ali...You need an award...I tell ya..you are so 1 in a million girl...FWIW...you do a wonderful job..even with ya beautiful preggie brain....LOL...
x and one for bean x
As American...Welcome...and thanks for your comment.....
OHN...My faithful first comment ever....how nice would it be to have lunch one day ?....always love your comments....
Doc...Your back and twice at that...am feeling a bit special around here. I did check out your blog and I really like it. You guys have done such a great job....
Rock Chef....I'm with you...even a small comment can go along way sometimes....
I just finished a rant about email etiquette, and HOW can they NOT Realize that they come off as rude?!
They don't know, don't care, don't listen? Works great if your 6, not so much when your supposed to be an adult.
But good for you, SIS, for hanging in there as the eternal optimist!
In defense of people who don't answer comments, I think it's a learned response. I didn't do it at first, until I started visiting a blog whose author ALWAYS responded to comments, and then I realized how nice that was and how it made you WANT to comment, AND go back to see what response you might have gotten.
If she never visits other blogs, it may have never occurred to her to respond. If she has a blog focused on one subject, she may not be the "communicator" who is usually drawn to blogging.
I'm blushing - for realsies :)
Hello- I saw your comments on Rock Chef's blog and popped over to see what you're all about.
I always wondered about "blogger etiquette" as well and am so glad you put this out there.
I always check out bloggers who leave me comments as well as try to reply to their comments on my own blog. I always thought that part of running a blog was to be social with other people. Who knows. I personally wouldn't read Blogger X's blog anymore.
Have a good day- Kenady
Sandra..I guess that could all be true as well...but The thing is she does comment on blogs and she does comment on comments...just not mine...LMAO....
Oh and for what it is worth..I got the idea of commenting back off you and DF....so thanks to you both...I really think it makes for a better blog....have a great weekend x.
Welcome Kenady...So glad you popped over....I did some favourite list deleting yeaterday and I feel like I have had a spring clean LOL...
well yes, I have the same situation. A blog of a baby same age as Alex - i have commented several times and like in your case, she has maybe 3 other people commenting, but not once have they even acknowledged my existence. I have kinda lost interest even going to the blog now. I guess that is what happens eventually.
I don't comment to comments on my blog... almost never. But if a newbie commenter shows up or delurks, I make an effort to stroll down that street and take a peak.
Bugs...Welcome back..I have so missed you. How's my little man ?...
I knew you would know what I was talking about lol...
Rumour....You always make a huge effort on commenting...love your comments ...and where is Smarsh these days?...
Yes! A comment is definately required after all your past efforts! It's a funny thing isn't it? The comment etiquette! Why else would we blog? Truly? If no-one ever left a message it would take the fun out of blogging.
Ha! At least I know "Blog X" isn't me!
You have said something that I find very interesting and maybe a lil confusing for my small brain..
As you know I'm at your blog all the time unless I'm off line. BUT I never leave an actual comment back to your comment on my blog.. I always go to yours or the persons blog that has commented at my blog and leave a comment there. Is that ok or should I be commenting on your comment in my blog comment section..
Have I confused you too?
AND I know what you mean about some bloggers not taking interest in others blogs, it's like they are so wrapped up in themselves and their own lives that they don't even acknowledge you exist and it can be hurtful. I am about to drop some names from my blog list as I have read their blogs for years and they rarely if ever let me know they know I exist.
Luv ya and thanks for the great topic.
Luv'N'Hugs,
Lesley
Scott...have to dash over and check out how your weekend went....
Mony...LOL...course it's not you....x
Lesley..Not you either....I love your blog. Dont ever feel like you have to comment on my blog...it's just great that you drop by...cause I love having you around..
Hi..I came here to respond to a comment you left on my blog and I'm looking for your email address...I think I'm blind or you don't have it on here. :) Please email me at toplanb@gmail.com so I can answer your question about the links.
And I think it's rude, too...I do not respond to every single comment, but do try to respond to many of them (especially when new people, like you, visit me!).
Ohhhh, thankyou... I love reading your blog so I hope to always be able to..
Luv Ya..
Lesley
Can you say "self-absorbed"?
or maybe she doesn't know how to leave a comment? (Yeah, I know, that one's lame.)
I'm glad I came over here and did not offend you :) JK
I agree with Tory on MySpace there is an unspoken code called "comment for comment". If she doesn't want people to comment I presume she could always make her blog private or friends only? She sounds like a douche.
Post a Comment