Friday, November 2, 2007

Oh my aching back....

Is there anyone out there in blog land that can fix an aching back......

I tell you I am just about over mine !!!...

It's been 2 and a half years of feeling like I am 104 years old.
Well OK I confess I cant say I really know how is feels to be 104 BUT gee whizz I have seen a lady at 103 years and she wasn't getting around real quick !

18 months ago I saw a neuro surgeon who basically said loose weight and take anti inflammatory medication...did I add that she charged $270 to tell me that.

Oh and that 99% of the population walk around with bulging disks anyway...so I should quit my carry on and get on with life...

I was a very heavy horse rider for 10 years. I am talking morning, noon and all weekend. I think this may have contributed to it and also the fact that when I started Nursing, lifters and side sheets were never heard of.

Maybe just a combination of things....anyway this is what I have tried..

1. Massage.
2. Heat.
3. Exercise.
4. Physio.
5. Acupuncture.
6. Tens machine.
7. New bed.
8. Back belt.
9. Deep heat and heat patches.
10.Anti Inflam Medication (yes for 2 years)...

Anyone got any good ideas..??...I'm all ears ??

11 comments:

OHN said...

Back pain is awful. I have had it in my thoracic area for 17 years after a stupid resident screwed up my epidural with S2. Like you I have tried it all and unfortunately nothing works. I also have some compression in the lower back so there is about a 6 inch segment of my back that feels great and the rest has gone to shit. The heat and massage help but only for a short period of time. Honestly the best anyone has made it feel is when I went for PT with a wonderful therapist and she had me working on my "core" that helped till I got lazy :) Sorry--wish I had a cure---if you find one, let me know!

tz said...

I'll try and keep this to under 500 words...back pain sucks, have no ideas what to do but know that I will think good thoughts for you!

Loved pics of crying baby and bob the builder and older kid not 'too cool' to hug bob, adorable.

Mony said...

More Shagging?

Ali said...

Well - the husband had a bulging disc, spinal stenosis, and an extra vertebra in his back (oh yeah, and he's a nurse) and finally had surgery in 2005 when it was so bad that he couldn't walk anymore and at the end of the day both of us would be bawling. Him from the pain, me from not being able to do anything.
All has been well since, though recently he is having new problems with L4, 5 and 6. Right now he's doing physio and is jacked up on painkillers again...not fun.
I guess if the physio doesn't help he'll be back on the surgery list. Don't know if it will help, but after his surgery he was awesome for about 2 and a half years - like a new man.
If you want to know anything else you can send me an email.

Anonymous said...

I do wish I was wise and all knowing and able to help with a cure for your back pain but unfortunatly I have no cure or no new ideas. Hope that there is a miracle cure for you out there. Yeah the horse riding has it's pleasure but it sure has it's pain.. and in your case many years later also.
Hugs from me..
Lesley

Bugsy said...

I like Mony's answer.

have you thought about acupuncture? My brother has it for his back pain and it seems to help him. (although all back pain is different so what helps one might not help another).

Oh and with the back belts - Hubby's doc told him not to rely on them too much - only when lifting or your muscles won't strengthen to compensate and you will always need the belt - You can't win no matter what you do - can you.

My back is killing me too at the moment - my pelvic ligaments are not strengthening and my pelvis keeps popping out - kills to walk. back to chiro for me.

Sitting In Silence said...

Ohn...17 years, oh you poor thing, i really should stop complaining !.

Tz...LOL...

Mony...You are a dead set classic !

Ali, "Snap", your DH and I have the same back problems..L4 and L5 minus the extra disk. Will e-mail you.

Lesley...Welcome back, thanks for your thoughts.

Bugs...LOL...cause you do !!! another classic !!!x

tz said...

Oh if we get to vote, i vote for mony's answer...now that's funny (particulary because back pain is the excuse i sometimes use to get OUT of....well you know)

Aimee said...

Acupuncture is great. I thought I'd never be able to do it, I hate needles. After several sessions, with the right person doing it, you feel great. I think I need to make an appointment now. Hope you find some relief.

Colleen O said...

Your list covered everything I've tried and more. What bugs me the most is to hear my kids imitating me, saying "because my back hurts" - so I'm trying to ignore mine. (It's working as well as anything else!)

Actually, morning excersises are key for me. I don't realize it's working until I stop, and feel that much worse.

Sorry - bummer!

Dodi said...

I have a friend who has cortisone shots in her back every 3 months. She wouldn't be able to function withough them.