Traditional Australian desert...
In 1935, the chef of the Hotel Esplanade in Perth, Western Australia, Herbert Sachse, created the pavlova to celebrate the visit of the great Russian ballerina, Anna Pavlova. Whilst it has been suggested this dessert was created in New Zealand, it has become recognized as a popular Australian dish.
TRADITIONAL PAVLOVA
4-6 egg whites
pinch salt
8oz castor sugar/sugar (equal parts)
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 level teaspoons cornflour
(Please note the following equivalents:
castor sugar or fine/super fine sugar
corn flour or cornstarch)
Preheat oven to 400F(200C).
Lightly grease oven tray, line with baking paper or use non-stick cooking spray.
Beat the whites of eggs with a pinch of salt until stiff (until peaks form).
Continue beating, gradually adding sugar, vinegar and vanilla, until of thick consistency.
Lightly fold in cornflour.
Pile mixture into circular shape, making hollow in centre for filling.
(Mixture will swell during cooking)
Electric oven: turn oven to 250F (130C) and bake undisturbed for 1 1/2 hours.
Gas oven: bake at 400F (200C) for ten minutes, then turn oven to 250F (130C) and bake a further hour.
(Fan forced oven: temperature and time needs to be adjusted accordingly.)
Turn oven off, leave pavlova in oven until cool.
Top with whipped cream and decorate with fruit as desired.
Check out my pic.....I made it all by myself....!

13 comments:
That is one great Pavlova!
I've never heard of it, but that looks good! I'm always on the lookout for more recipes!
I'll let you know how it turns out!
that looks awesome...did dodi mention she was going to make this for all of her neighbors?
because dodi, i'll bring the coffee!
or even better, danielle you can just move over here and host a pavolova party here, forget butter braids ;)
TZ: I might have to try that on my in-laws before I try it on my important friends!
SIS, My own post!! thank you! That looks incredible! I may have to try that when the weather warms up... butter braids be damned and all that. Is it scary to make, like can the egg white mixture "fall" if you kids run screaming through the kitchen at precisely the wrong moment?
CRC...Thanks !...I only make it once a year ! Ha ha...
Amanda....Cool....let us know how you go !
TZ...Yep..I'm pretty sure I heard Dodi say she was going to make it for your gals....LOL....xox
Dodi...Yep your own special post for you !
Enjoy xoxox
PS...
I Still haven't tried it. Someone at work gave me that friendship bread which has frustrated me out of trying new things for awhile. Have you tried that stuff??
Danielle -- I am truly interested in this because my SIL and I are in charge of food for a fund-raising party and for the dessert table we were trying to come up with something unique -- this might be it! If, I can make one. (I WILL try one first to be sure.)
Two questions:
Is cornflour the same thing as corn meal?
If you pile it on the baking sheet how come yours is perfectly round and has nice straight up-and-down sides? How do you (I assume)trim it that way?
If I succeed at this, of course, I'll post a picture!
Thanks for the idea, friend.
Amanda...No you will have to do a post on it !
Oh and have you changed your blog name ?,I tried to find your blog but it took me to an old link...?
xox
Sandra...
Great idea. No I dont think corn flower is the same. Over here it is a thin white powder.Is that what corn meal is ?
You can cook a pav in a tin or roll one out onto a tray and make a roll. Some people just make a log design. The outter edge crunches up and is the best !
Let me know if I can help you in any other way xoxo
Hey girl, I'm going to get the ingredients to cook this today for the recipe blog. Ok so corn flour and corn starch are the same thing? That goes for powdered sugar as well? I don't want to hose it up! Can you please email me at aebfraz at yahoo.com and let me know? It will send me a text on my phone so I can get my buns to the grocery store.
As a side note, I'm making Snowman Poop's southern bisquits for breakfast tomorrow morning. I feel so cultural this weekend! Australia and Alabama!!
Post a Comment