Saturday, January 31, 2009



I so wish I had thought of this book first....
The Mother of all subjects....

The In- Law.....

Love them, loath them, vicious, vindictive, embarrassing, kind and more...

The Author Dillner says Mother- in- laws through out history have been feared, hated, ridiculed, appreciated and adored, but rarely ignored.

Native Americans have mystical stories about Mother- In -laws, Lithuanian women sing poetic, tragic songs of suffering at the hands of their mother-in-laws, and Aboriginal men avoid them entirely, she writes....

Dillner traces the role of the mother-in-law from ancient Greece and Rome to contemporary society and probes beyond the stereotypes...

So whether your Mother-in-law is to be celebrated or inspires the warning,"be afraid be very afraid", rest assured her type is contained within the entertaining and informative pages of this book....

For me...I am sticking with my buddy, the ancient Roman satirist juvenal who once said,"Give up all hope of peace as long as your mother-in-law is alive".....

16 comments:

OHN said...

I was one of the lucky ones with a good MIL. She wouldn't butt in even if we ASKED her to...that actually drove me a little batty. She was so worried about being the evil MIL that she wouldn't offer ANY opinions.

With 3 sons, I am going to have to be extremely careful to be a MIL that passes the MIL test.

I think I will offer future DIL's monthly massages with me at a local spa...yeah, that would be good ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh I could comment for an hour here! But to keep the peace I won't! It can be super hard because on the one hand you respect the fact that they gave birth to and raised the wonderful man who is your hubby but on the other hand, you wonder just how much you can stand of the typical MIL behavior before going insane???
I'm all about the spa idea. Sure wish I had a MIL who was into that idea!

Ken said...

I think my most Asian mother-in-laws are scary.

Dodi said...

I got a good MIL, but I'm not sure if she loves me so much or if I'm just so much better than his first wife that I seem like a Princess in comparison?

Anyway - I lucked out. My in-laws a very fun. And less dysfunctional than my own family so there is that little bonus.

Sitting In Silence said...

Ohn...LOL...The girls will be lining up ! xoxo

Sitting In Silence said...

Amanda, sound like your MIL is like mine lol x

Sitting In Silence said...

DF...Snap !

Sitting In Silence said...

Dodi, Thats a huge bonus ! xoxo

Rock Chef said...

I think I was pretty lucky with my MIL. At first she disapproved of me, but she came around when it was clear I wasn't going to go away!

But most of the time she lived 300 miles away so we never had the sort of prolonged exposure that can cause the biggest problems.

One thing she did do for me was to stop me becoming an alchoholic after we lost our daughter. I had started hitting the bottle pretty hard. We visited for 2 weeks and she geve me so much wine that when I left I couldn't face another glass for weeks after. I don't know if it was intended, but it worked!

Ali said...

I'm just going to bite my lip, and say: my relationship with my MIL is...interesting.

And that's it.

Sitting In Silence said...

CRC....Awwwwwwwwww...my mother once did that we she caught me smoking many many moons ago. She brought me a huge packet of smokes and told me to sit down and smoke the lot....ewwwwwwwww...I'v never touched once since....I had a mouth like the bottom of a bird cage lol...

Sitting In Silence said...

Same Ali...xox

kenady said...

LOL!! i have escaped the evil MIL! Mine is a wonderful lady. She watched both of my kids util they were 4 and 3 respectively. She is always available at the the drop of a hat for whatever you may need. She never butts in and NEVER criticizes:) She may very well be a saint!

xxoo, e

Anonymous said...

Oh honey if she is then Lord help you! Insert huge eye roll here!

Rock Chef said...

Hi!

How are you? I have been watching the events in Australia with growing horror. I hope that you and yours are well away from this!

John

Teresa said...

That was HILARIOUS!!! I want that book!!!!

...actually...although I get very upset that my MIL doesn't acknowledge our existance...after hearing other people's stories, I realize it could be worse!