Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Interview !.....

The Lovely TZ over at Zimmerhouse-(Link on Left) has sent me some interview questions....Because I am not blog savy and I have already driven Scott and a few others mad asking how to link, tag and mark...Anyone who dare takes the challenge of my questions he he he he.... canfeel free to leave me the word "interview" in your comment....

Now...onto the questions....

1. (this is a tough one, so I'll give you an alternate one if you don't want to answer it) Your husband has sarcodosis (I forgot the name of the disease)? It's very rare and I think you said there are not a lot of people in Australia with any expertise in it...was it your nursing background that helped find his diagnosis? how long did it take to find a diagnosis and was it relief to finally know what was wrong (not a relief at what it was, but a relief of just knowing what it was...)?

I think my nursing background helped me realize that originally "something was not right ", what I first saw were huge hot red marks on the back of his legs. I instantly thought it was a DVT and told him to sit down straight away on the floor. I called a Doctor to the house who thought the same thing and called an ambulance. At the hospital they started blood thinning treatment and took a chest x-ray. The chest x-ray showed enlarged nodes and shadows. The next day they sat me down and told me they believed it was Metastatic disease and they would look for his primary cancer via a CT scan. It took 3 days to scan his whole body and every time it came back NAD. It was then that they decided to do a lung biopsy and a skin biopsy. Both came back positive for Sarcoids. It was a relief to know it was not cancer but frustrating that little is known about it here in Australia. The disease itself is often fatal in African Americans and quite well known about in The USA. I have spent literally 100 of hours in books, on the nets and ringing all over the world to gain information on Sarcoids. We even flew half way around Australia to see a specialist from London that was at a University giving a talk on Asthma. This specialist was from a Sarcoids clinic in London. I begged and pleaded for him to see us. I keep in contact with The Australian lung foundation as well. But honesty they need to pull their finger out and start looking at Sarcoids seriously, as the only support group is old people with O2 cylinders and a history of COPD.
I found a beautiful family in the USA who's young son started a project called Sarcoids life... sadly he never got to finish this project. I e-mailed his parents and asked if I could and I now have a 32 page power point on the latest findings, history and treatment of Sarcoids. I even found that we have a world first- A clinic in Chicago dedicated to People living with this hideous disease. My dream is to be able to take DH over there one day and attend the week long work shop that they have once a year and bring some of that back to Australia....

2. What made you decide to become a nurse and then later a nurse in palliative care?

I have always wanted to be a Nurse, we have a long family history with Nursing.People often tell me that they could think of nothing worse...but I cant think of anything else.I also have a bit of a wicked edge to me that allows me to see the funny sides of nursing.
I know this will sound weird but I have always been fascinated with life and death. I was brought up in a family where you don't talk about death and children don't go to funerals. I thought that you were supposed to be afraid of death, that it was something you fear. I knew that death was a huge part of nursing so I called up a local funeral home and asked them if I could come and talk to them about death and dying. As it turned out I met one of the most incredible people I have ever met. A funeral director with terminal cancer who taught me that dying is not the end of life. We spent a whole day together,she took me through death from babies to teenagers and older people. I witnessed the lot and it was probably one of the best things I have ever done for my nursing. I currently work in Oncology. Which as you know has a high number of palliative patients.

3. If you had to leave Australia, what country would you move to and why?

The united States of America, We love the place. I'll admit it is very very different to Australia.But we did think of relocating on a working visa in 1995.

4. When did you know you were in love with your husband and he was the one?

I think I always knew, after the first phone call and date, he was just so different to all the other guy's I had ever dated. The only time I thought "Hello" was that he put the "hard word" on me on the first date. In fact,lets be honest here...the first 25 minutes I knew him....
I put him straight and he never mentioned it again,no hang on that makes me sound like the virgin Mary...he didn't mention it for a while...

5. (stealing this from Ali) Name a time when you and your husband laughed yourselves silly.

Camping last year....We have this huge double blow up bed. I tend to go to bed first, while DH does some serious male bonding. At about 2am at night when all the camp site is quiet. DH decides to jump into bed. Well if you have tried jumping on a camp bed you will know what I mean. He jumped clean over the top of me and I ended up air born. We literally wet ourselves laughing as I ended up in the camp kitchen. We made so much racket that we woke up the other campers who laughed along with us....

alternate question: (stealing from chief rock) If you could be anything other then a nurse (without the need of extra schooling or training and you could just walk into it) what would you be/do?

Hrmmm I think I'd be a Wedding planner. I love organizing things and I think I can have pretty good taste at times....

okay, here are the rules that you have to post on your blog:

The only rules are that you have to link back to the original post and you have to put these rules in your post:"Want to be part of it? Follow these instructions:
1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me."
2. I will respond by emailing you five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions."

16 comments:

OHN said...

Do I dare let you interview me????? Sure, why not!

I love learning little tidbits about you.

Very interesting about the funeral director...you sound like me, seeking out answers.

Thanks for the peep into your life :)

Anonymous said...

I love this post!!
I knew that your husband had health problems from your post a bit back about your marriage. But I didn't know just what. Thank you for explaining to those of us who didn't know.
I've always wondered about nursing as well. I never understood how people could deal with the pain of it. But I met the most wonderful woman while having my son and she delivered him, not a doctor. She made me respect the whole profession.

Have you visited the US for any length of time, like a few weeks?

Well, I'd love to be interviewed! I don't really have a lot of people who read the blog who don't already know quite a bit about me but I'd sure like it. It is a fun idea!

Anonymous said...

Hey you should do a post with links to everyone you interviewed (Just the page that they answered on) so that we could all get to know new people.
What do you think?

Sitting In Silence said...

OHN....Yayyyyyyyyyyyy.....I'll think up some questions and e-mail them to you ! ....

Oh this is exciting !.....xoxo

Sitting In Silence said...

Amanda....Thanks for your support...
I sure have been to the USA. I would love to go again so that I could see more of the country....

I'll e-mail you some questions xoxox

Sitting In Silence said...

Amanda...I think that is a brillant idea but I cant do links...god knows I have tried and tried..which is why I always say (Link to the left) meaning my favourite blogger list...

How about I add you to that list since you are a regular and I am sure the girls that visit here would only be too happy to pop over to you !
Right Girls ?...Oh and the 2 cool dudes !
xoxoxx

Rock Chef said...

Love the camp bed story! I will watch out for that this summer!

tz said...

oh thanks for answering the 'hard' question...I still hope I wasn't too forward..I love what you said about how the funeral director changed your views on dying...beautiful...

well when you get to chicago, try a side trip to colorado! you have a lot of people here who would love to meet you!

kenady said...

to interviewed or not? that is the question...

ok, ok... i think yes to the interview:)

by the by, you should be able to see a solar eclipse some time soon. i heard it on the news today and they said the eclipse is visible to people living in Australia... alas, i cannot remember when, but it is soon:)

Sitting In Silence said...

CRC...Good idea and rule of the camp bed is to keep em low ! xoxo

Sitting In Silence said...

TZ...It was not a hard question...you did a great job with the interview...thanks heaps xoxoxoxo

Sitting In Silence said...

Erin...Really....I will have to keep an eye out for it....
Thanks for letting me interview you. I will e-mail you the questions...

How are you guys ?
xoxoxo

Ken said...

Sorry about your husband and Sarcoids. Seems like a million people have to have something bad before they do more research on anything.

BTW, I was just having fun when I said you didn't look normal.

Teresa said...

That camping bed story was hilarious!!

Thanks for sharing about your husband's illness. I had wondered myself but didn't want to ask. I read up on it a bit. I'm so sorry! I think it's fantastic that you are doing research on it and if you ever get to go to Chicago...I'm only 4 small hours away!!!!

Sitting In Silence said...

DF...LOL...Thanks for your support...

Tis ok about the normal part...trust me when I say 99% of the time I feel far far farrrrrrrr from normal LMAO xoxoxo

Sitting In Silence said...

Teresa...Thank you...I am so coming to Chicargo....and I am so going to met all you guys one day...

It's my life goal...the parkview Mums, Jenny and Sandra, you, Erin Ohn and Ali....

xoxoxo