Wednesday, January 28, 2009

MOM

Following My comment in my last post I thought I would dedicate this one to MOM.
Mom comes from a Chinese background. Her fathers Mother,(Her Grandmother) is full Chinese.

Mom celebrates Chinese New Year more then Australia Day.

Her house is a shrine to her heritage.

In fact I should take the camera around and grab some pics, it really is amazing.

I as you can see, look nothing like my mother, while I am a tad over 5'8 and blonde. Mum is just hitting if she stands on her toes 5 feet...
The last time we took the same shoe size was when I was 9...LOL...

I look like a clone of my father,born in Scotland all 6 foot 4 of him.
In fact I am the shortest on that side of the family. My cousin who looks identical to Dax is 6 foot 7.

Mom taught me to eat with chop sticks before she taught me to eat with a fork.
She sang me songs in Chinese before I could sing Twinkle Twinkle little star.
My first story book was in Chinese.
Most of her friends are Chinese.
I probably have eaten more Chinese meals then Australian.
Mom still thinks The Chinese way is the only way to eat.
She still laughs at the Aussie Chinese resturants, and shakes her head.
I love how she sits at the table picking at rice and eating soup with her chop sticks...
She even made my babies wear silver bells for the first 2 years of their lives , to ward off evil....she said !

Mum takes in students from China and she helps them study English. She enrols them into a local school and before you know it, they are just another person part of our family.
At the moment she has had one of the students for 3 years, her sibling is due out anytime...

I feel really proud to have experienced another culture first hand...so thanks Mom for keeping your heritage alive...


 

 
Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Rock Chef said...

I would never have guessed that you are part Chinese!

Funny, my eldest always said that she wanted a Chinese boyfriend so she could eat wonderful food all the time.

Sitting In Silence said...

CRC...I know...people never guess it....I dont even look like I have 1% in me LOL...
P>S..The food really is the best LOL...x

OHN said...

Does she live near you? I hope she is sharing her heritage with your kids...how wonderful! :)

kenady said...

I see a bit of her in you:)

How wonderful to have been raised so close to a completely different culture! That makes you all that more special:)

Dodi said...

I really still am floored that you have Chinese ancestors; like when I found out one of my school-parent friends was part Japanese. He looks as Irish as anyone you've ever seen. The mixing of all your ancestors certainly works - you are stunningly pretty and your kids are so beautiful.

BTW, she is adorable and I think it's very cool that she keeps your families' cultural heritage alive. In countries like ours, "melting pots" as it were, all too often that is lost.

I also never knew you were an only child. Is it interesting watching your kids work through their sibling "stuff" with each other since you really didn't have first hand experience with that before you had your kids?

Treasure your mom.

Ken said...

Holy cow! We might be related! No one you're so strange.

Sitting In Silence said...

OHN...She sure does,about 5 minutes away by car.
She is very big on sharing it with the children.
Even more so with Stumpy.
She always takes him to Chinese gatherings and has taught him to eat with chop sticks, he adores the food more so then the older 2.
In fact I brought him up on tradional Chinese food from the start as I believe it is so much healthier then our Aussie diet.

Sitting In Silence said...

Erin...Awwwwwwwwww you always say the most beautiful things x

Sitting In Silence said...

Dodi....Thank you.
It sure is interesting watching my children grow up together.
To be honest I have never really got the "sibling thing"...it's all rather odd to me.
I have always wanted a sister, but I have many great girlfriends so I guess that maybe that's close or a bit like the real thing ????...

The downside to being an only child is I dont share and I hate board games LOL...never anyone to play with !

Sitting In Silence said...

LMAO....We just might be ha ha ha....

Anonymous said...

I have to ask this..
how does one eat soup with chopsticks?
I could only use them to eat if I were spearing a chicken leg or something. I've seen them used for rice and I am amazed!
Good for your mom for celebrating her heritage!

Ali said...

Chinese and Scottish - what a fantastic combination! And I'm with Rock Chef - would never have guessed it in a million years...

But wowzers, the combo worked pretty well on you - you're gorgeous!!!

Sitting In Silence said...

Amanda...It's real art but I swear there is nothing that my Mom cant eat with those sticks of hers LMAO.

Sitting In Silence said...

Awwwwwwwwwww Ali Thankx xoxoxo

Sandra said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Mom! And, of course, I would never have guessed that you had any Chinese ancestry either. Very interesting. I'm glad you shared this! :) (btw, I was a late life baby, so was raised pretty much as an only child too, so also had "issues" with sharing that I had to get over!)

Teresa said...

That was so sweet!! And yes, I too wondered how you eat soup with chopsticks but also that your Dad was soooo much taller than your Mom...WOW!!

That is awesome!